Reports to: Head – Research
Type Of Position: Full-time
Who we are:
Achira Labs (www.achiralabs.com) is a pioneering Bangalore-based company
that has developed proprietary lab-on- chip platforms to perform rapid blood
tests in near-patient settings. Our vision is to radically alter the paradigm for
medical diagnostics in underserved markets through the development and
commercialization of disruptive and low-cost technologies. We launched India’s first microfluidics platform ACIX 100 in 2016 and are following this up with multiple new projects on both instrumentation and assay development.
The opening is an incredible opportunity for someone with 5+ years of hardware + embedded systems experience to play an important role in developing diagnostics hardware in an exciting and dynamic start-up environment. The role will involve significant engineering development and interfacing with other members of a highly inter-disciplinary team. The candidate will be accountable for his/her individual timelines, manage a team of 2-3 engineers on instrument development and report to the Head of R&D.
The ideal candidate should be:
- Able to lead, plan and deliver on all electronics development and
troubleshooting efforts for different instrument platforms being
developed within the company.
- Integrate, troubleshoot and be responsible for all parts of the instrument.
- Manage a complex instrumentation project from concept to prototype to
finished product while working with different team members. Be familiar
with CE/ISO standards for regulatory approval of instruments and
introduce and implement ideas on DFM (Design for Manufacturability) at the right time.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors and suppliers for procuring and
testing new components.
- Work directly on different engineering challenges from breadboard level
to a finished product as part of the project.
What kind of attributes and skills would be ideal?
- A minimum of 5 years of design experience with medical diagnostic
products and knowledge across elements of hardware/ software/
firmware is preferable
- A Bachelors or Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering/ Electronics/
Instrumentation/ Physics/ Mechatronics
- Strong theoretical understanding of analog circuits, digital logics, and
- Practical understanding of interfacing different kinds of sensors
- A strong understanding of firmware design and development. This should include testing circuits on a breadboard, familiarity with soldering SMD and through-hole components.
- Prior experience with Embedded C programming and debugging software and hardware
- Experience in designing circuits and layouts in ORCAD/EAGLE up to 4
layers and familiarity with I2C, RS232, SPI (USB) communication protocols
- Prior experience with interfacing peripherals such as keyboard, touch
screen, motors and external hardware such as ADC, Digital Pots, sensors
using I2C or SPI
- Up-to- date on important trends in this area and able to bring in cutting-
edge ideas hot-off- the-press
Software: Keil v4.0 Code Composer, Strong foundation in C programming
Microcontroller programming (8, 16, 32 bit with ST/Microchip controllers),
Python, Familiarity with Raspberry Pi/Beagle Boards
How to apply?
Please send your resume to email@example.com with the code name
ACH_2018_IN1 in the subject line. Emails without an attached CV will not be
screened. A brief cover letter expressing your interest in the specific role will be